Since travel and photography so often come together, finding good travel camera bags that will protect your expensive equipment on the road is essential. Whether you need a heavy duty hard suitcase for all a durable waterproof case for your point and shoot, there are a huge variety of different camera travel cases out there.
Before you go out in search of the ideal type of travel camera case — think about the style and features that will work best for your photographic needs. Do you need both the hard shell rolling suit case style case and a lighter daypack to strap on for day-long shooting trips? Do you need a durable waterproof case for kayaking, backpacking, or climbing? Or are you a more casual amateur who needs a more simple, yet still useful and protective bag that will allow easy access to your gear and keep it safe.
Here’s a list of some of the best camera travel cases:
Water-Resistant Camera Bags
OtterBox 2000 Series Waterproof Case
The Otterbox 2000 is a totally waterproof electronics case that can be fully submerged up to 100 feet. The crushproof and waterproof Otterbox 2000 is the perfect size for small digital cameras and is really compact and lightweight at only 6 ounces.
Pelican 1010 Micro Case
– The Pelican 1010 Micro Case is crushproof, dustproof, and water resistant. Perfect size for a compact digital camera, the Pelican 1010 will keep your camera safe from from drops, splashes, and dust storms.
Pelican 1510 Hard Carry-On Camera Case
– The Pelican 1510 Camera Case is the unbreakable (watertight and airtight) super protective camera case for the serious adventurer photographer. You can dunk, flip, hit, and drop this bag, and it will keep all your valuable equipment safe—all while fitting into the overhead bin.
Travel Camera Bags For The Professional
Tenba Mixx Photo Daypack
– Lighter in weight and better than previous Tenba models, the Tenba Mixx Photo Daypack is made for carrying larger camera systems, while still remaining mobile, lightweight and durable.
Lowepro Stealth Reporter 300AW
– The Lowepro Stealth bag holds a pro SLR, 4-5 lenses, flash, film, accessories, and leaves extra room for other essentials for a day out shooting. It has a great all-weather protector and allows you to access your gear without completely opening the main compartment.
Travel Camera Bags For The Casual Photographer
Tamrac Velocity 10X Sling Camera Pack
– If you are looking for a messenger style camera bag that is comfortable to carry, keeps you equipment safe, and provides quick and easy access to your photography equipment the Tamrac Velocity 10 X Sling Pack is a solid choice. The 10X Velocity is the largest in the popular Velocity sling pack style of Tamrac packs, allowing you to carry as many as 2 cameras with lenses at a time.
Crumpler Three Million Dollar Home Camera Bag
– For those looking for a camera bag that doesn’t look so much like a camera bag (allowing you to be a little less conspicuous when on the road), the Crumpler series is a great stylish alternative. This messenger style camera bag is designed to carry your gear safely while looking a lot more like a regular old bag.